Okay so today I had an interview at Starbucks. I need insurance so I bit the bullet and applied. Well, big surprise, I got the job. Here is the deal people; never, I mean NEVER attempt to tell God what you will and won't do. I mean, sure I am reading Boundaries but apparently God just isn't "down" with me setting boundaries with Him. Something about that whole giving my life to Him that enables him to creep in and take command whenever he darn well pleases. Funny.
So despite the fact that I said I would NEVER work at Starbucks, here I am. It's not that I don't like it or believe in the brand. It's just that I am from Seattle and everyone I know practically worked there at one time. I never had any desire to learn how to make all those dang drinks and folks in Seattle are snobby about coffee plus they get really mad if they have to wait just one more second for that second quad, grande, skinny, extra foamy, extra hot, sugar free vanilla, no whip, two splenda's latte, of the day. But now I take the opportunity because I need a job. A minimum wage job.
I guess the thoughts that ran through my mind today were...wow, I get to work and interact with people; yeah, I will have insurance, oh my gosh, I had a career, Lord, why can't I get a teaching job, I will be serving coffee instead of teaching things like letter sounds, glottal stops, initial blends, phonemic awareness, metacognition, schema, and inferences. I am truly grateful but I am sad also.
I know I said I want a year off teaching but I love it. I really do. I sing my morning calendar songs to myself in my car sometimes just to remind myself what day of the week it is and what the weather is like today. I was really good at teaching you know. I am just so sad that I am not where I think I belong...in a classroom. People here won't seem to give an outsider a chance. It's funny, all that education, all that experience, even being prideful about my abilities. God has stripped me of it and here I am working for minimum wage at Starbucks. Part of me wants to cry and maybe even a small part feels mad. Yet another part of me feels hopeful for what things the Lord is going to teach me. I want to be humble. As David reminds me, Blessed are the humble and the meek, not blessed are the most popular, out going. life of the party, and charismatic. Just when I am feeling pretty bad, God uses my best friend to remind me of His faithfulness. Maybe David is why I am down here. Maybe God has listened to my prayers for the last 8 years.
On the eve of 22 years following Christ...
10 years ago
4 comments:
Totally. Embrace it. God works in masterful (and mysterious) ways, and will continue to do so in this season despite your attitude. So get on with your humble self!! Preach that truth. And LOVE people. You'll be surprised by interactions you'll have at a coffee shop!
Wow. That's cool Kiesha. I mean your taking it all really well. I think I'd be more that possibly a little mad. Guess I've got some maturing to do. Dang it.
Have I told you how amazing I think you are! God uses you to speak to my life SO much.
Isn't it just a little ironic that you left Seattle to go work in a Starbucks in Texas... I mean, seriously....who can say God does NOT have a sense of humor.
I'm so proud of you for humbling yourself. I was so sad when you left. I was like "Ok, their goes our friendship" but seriously, God still uses you in my life. I love that you mentor me even through the blog without even realizing it.
I love you. And I love that your so getting married before me. And that I get to learn all about that from you too!
P.S. Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino. WOW.
Kiesha!
You are an amazing teacher! And yes, sometimes we have to work at a place like Starbucks to make sure we have insurance! I am in the same boat as you! I was laid off from Bellevue in June! I thought I was done teaching because I thought I had finally found the perfect place to work, but it didn't turn out that way.
The other day I was at the YMCA with my stepson and we were at the kids gym and there was a place where the kids could relax and read. I picked up a book and started reading aloud to my stepson. I looked up and there were 2 more kids gathered around to hear me. I miss those moments when you capture their attention and their eyes light up when they learn something new, or just enjoy hearing a wonderful story!
Things will work out for you! Keep your head up. I enjoy reading your blog too, you are a great writer. You should write a book about all of your adventures!!!
Alison
Post a Comment